Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Bad Habits

I have some really bad habits. "Who doesn't?" I ask myself, during a justification process. But enough is enough. I have worked hard to make some really great changes in my life over the past 5 years in order to be happy. And there is no reason to slack on the little things.

People are always telling me that I have a lot of energy, that I do so many things, blah, blah, blah. The truth is, I am quiet lazy. REALLY lazy. Half of what I do, I do because I can watch TV at the same time. And I am bad at prioritizing because I only do what I want to do. So when time comes for things that I have put off, I stress out, and don't handle things well.  If I had just done those things when I knew they needed to be done....... It is time to abandon the I-work-best-under-pressure theory lifestyle that I have been living.

So some habits are about to change. A little late for a New Year's Resolution, but hey. Better late than never. And by writing things down, I will be more committed to them (or so studies show). So here are some of the things that are about to change around here:

1.  I am going to workout. Seriously, really workout. I belong to a gym, and I go sometimes. The excuse? I am on my feet all day. The reality - tough it out, Girl! I completed 2 more half marathons, one I half trained for, and the most recent, not at all. It motivated me to move again. Fo real. Yesterday, I was at the gym, some running, some weights. Today a bike ride to the grocery store, an aerobic house clean (dancing with my iPod on through every scrub got my heart rate up). Tomorrow, the gym? A run? Some Nike FIt Club (app)? Who knows. But it will happen.

2. I am going to change my diet. I am getting fat again. Not Biggest Loser fat, but out-of-my-comfort-zone-fat. I lost 35 pounds once. When I met my husband, I was only 110 pounds, which is ridiculously thin. And I have no problem throwing out there that at my heaviest I was 163 pounds, and a size 14. Well 12, but I should have been a 14 because those size 12 pants were bursting at the seams. I don't want that again. While I am ok with my size 8, I know my frame can handle a little less, and I have gained 7 pounds since school started. My ultimate goal: 15 pounds (to 125) or a size 6. I am sure they go hand in hand. Ultimately, it is about health. And while I don't want to be my pre-married weight, I could definitely shed some fat.  So it is time for me to get back onto My Fitness Pal app, and track things again, right after I finish a cleanse. I am also going on the Paleo diet. This means no dairy, grains, or sugar. So I will have to plan ahead, and not be so lazy. But don't worry girls, red wine is Paleo-approved!

3. Follow a budget. Sigh. The one hot spot in out marriage. I know this is my fault. So it is time to get serious. Mint.com has a great program for budgeting. And I plan on being all over it. I am sure you will hear more about this, as I like to over dramatize a lot........

4. Less TV. I am hoping to convince Jon to ditch the cable and get Apple TV, Hulu Plus, and renew our NetFlix. This will save us money, and force me to watch what I want, not just have it on and channel surf.

5. Less time on the computer. I don't really know how realistic this is, trying to start a business and all. But I could spend more quality time on the computer, and less farting around. Damn Facebook and Pinterest. Time to back off a little and use the internet for quality research and networking. It will be a lot easier to do if number 4 (above) is happening.

6. Blog again. Every night I write a blog post in my head. And I never seem to do it. Even with all the time I spend in front of my computer. For my own sanity, I need to type things out.

7. Get my side business going. This could be an entire book. I'll just say there is a lot in the works, and this could be big, or it could be a small side income. Depending on how much effort I am going to make. And I am excited about it. That says a lot. One day at a time with this one......

Now that I have thrown it out there, I am counting on you all to keep me honest. Time to change some of my bad habits into good ones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Cara, I love you just the way you are. And I also love that you always have a new self improvement plan. I'm your cheerleader no matter what.
-alexis