Sunday, January 23, 2011

What has happened to me?

Every year I feel like I should write resolutions. For the first week of the year it is all people can talk about. A few years ago I wrote about my stance on goals, and though my opinion of goals hasn't changed, I don't think my ability to set goals has improved. When this school year started, I had a goal to be ahead of the game, and get grading done on time, and plan ahead, and blah, blah blah. Next thing I know, it is December and I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown with all the pile-up. Granted, I had a lot of personal stuff going on, but yet another goal that I can't seem to reach, and I crumble in self disappointment.
So come January, and during my sewing marathon, I spent a lot of time thinking about the new year. Not having kids has opened up an entire life that I hadn't quiet expected. So how do I begin sorting through all of that? Start small, I decided. Focus on finishing out the school year and having some sort of regular order to my everyday routine before I get crazy with big plans. My professional goal for the last 3 years has been to plan ahead, as opposed to my habit of planning on a daily basis. It has never happened, so I didn't put a lot of faith in it. Besides, After my last 8 weeks, I didn't really care about much of anything.
And then I bought that Christmas tree. Something happened. I had just done something ahead of schedule. Eleven months ahead, to be exact, and some switch in me was turned on. All of a sudden, I started my semester with grading done daily and lesson plans not only done, but completed 2 weeks in advance, and all my copies made, too. By being ahead, I have been able to plan efficiently, and when I leave work, it stays there. Which gives me time to run errands, and play. I don't know what is happening to me.  I am a whole new person. Happy New Year to me.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

I think goals are overrated and prohibit us from living freely. I love your Fly-By-The-Seat-Of-Your-Pants ways! Don't conform, Cara!!! Speaking from someone that is TOO planned out and always ahead of schedule - it's just as tiring, honey.