Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I love the smell books


Yes, books. One of the most comforting things in the world to me is to flip the pages of a paperback in front of my nose and take a deep inhale. Same goes for freshly cut wood (like pencils), and lawn clippings. Aaaahhhhhhh, school must have started.

I love my job. Have I mentioned that? I don't usually last more than 2 1/2 years at a job before I get frustrated. Something tells me this one will stick a lot longer than that. At least I hope so. I still get amped up for the first week of real teaching (lets face it, the first few days is nothing but riles, rules, rules, and where to find the pencil sharpener). So far, my students are great. For the first time, I am excited to teach all of my classes. I didn't used to like my foods class, but I decided to scrap everything I have done in the past, and do whatever I want. Other junior high teachers gave me stuff to start with, and I used it because I thought I should be consistent with other junior highs in the district. But as time went on, I realized, and finally accepted, that there is no state or district standards for my subject. As long as I stay within my subject matter, I can pretty much do whatever the hell I want. And I can relate anything to food. I am going to focus on my strengths - health, nutrition, and restaurants, and can things like career exploration and budgeting. No 8th grader I have worked with has any concept of money or what they want to do with in their life, so I figured that is safe to eliminate. I am really excited with the ideas that I have come up with, and can't wait to execute them (the lessons, not the kids).

Plus, it is nice to have something else to think about, and a place to spend my energy. I love coming home hungry and exhausted, and knowing I did something great today. Last night I had a nightmare that I moved back to CO (not the nightmare part) and I never taught again (bingo, right there) because I couldn't find a school that was as great as South Valley. It actually woke me up with a racing heart. It is a huge fear. I am on a dynamic campus. The culture is positive, and energizing. The administration, and 95% of my co-workers are supportive and knowledgeable (there is always those 5% that can suck it). Arriving at work each day poses a new and interesting challenge. And like all dynamic teachers, the kids learn from me as much as I learn from them. I can't imagine a more rewarding job in the whole world. I am a lucky girl, who as had a great week. I am bursting with enthusiasm and energy. You may find it kind of gross, and I don't care. I love it, love it, love it, and wish that no one ever had to work a job that they hate. It certainly isn't worth it.

1 comment:

Erika S said...

Your headline caught my eye because I'm struggling with loving or hating the new Kindles and Nooks. They're kinda fancy, and I admit it... a small part of me wants one. But if I got a Kindle, it would basically ruin my dream of a home library. (I mean, picture it: huge room, wood flooring, fireplace, couches and overstuff chairs, floor-to-ceiling bookcases spanning all ways of the library, complete with the moveable bookcase ladder...and one KINDLE.) I also get an absolute RUSH when I buy books, and I think downloading would suck the life out of me. :)