Friday, October 30, 2009

Quilts

I mentioned my new obsession with quilts. I took a 6 week class where we learned how to make 3 different quilts. I took it because I am going to teach the kids how to make quilts for charity this year. I wanted to reinforce what I thought I already knew about the process. My problem with quilts is that though I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into them, they have a tendency to be very country bumpkin. It was no surprise to me when I hated the ones in the book that we had to make for class. That was until I made them myself. It is all about the fabric. The first quilt, I have kept, and am not sure I could ever give away. It is adorable, but has its flaws as I readjusted to a long break from sewing. It has simple, subtle mistakes that no one else would probably notice. But being my first quilt, I have a little sentimental attachment to it.
The quilt below was the second quilt, which was my least favorite in the book. However, because I choose an adorable fabric combination, it ended up one of my favorites. It went to my friend Alexis who had an equally adorable baby girl last on October 13th.
Close up of the fabric:
The back, which I also loved.
This was the third quilt. At first, I was mad that the lady made me pick out so many different fabrics. It wasn't symmetrical enough for me. I used 9 different patterns, but there are 16 squares. It isn't divisible, and that bothers me. It took 2 hours to pick out the fabrics, but I thought I had done a great job. And I don't know what I think of 4 pointed stars. But after it all came together, I didn't want to give it up. But alas, I wrapped it up for my friend Amy who is due next month.
I am working on 2 quilts for friends having boys in December. I will post them as soon as I finish.
The only think I didn't like was following traditional quilt patterns. I can't wait to get more creative and explore some different design concepts. I want to take traditional concepts, and recreate the quilt. But in the meantime, I am just enjoying the sewing itself. More to come.........

4 comments:

Cynthia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cynthia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cynthia said...

These are the best quilts I've ever seen, including in the store. And I'm not saying that because you're are my friend or because you are so cute. Although that's true too.

elise said...

Reading this post makes me want to throw myself into quilting! I made a small one in a class 6 years ago and figured "well, now I've done that. Check!" Now I'm inspired to go find some great fabric (bad fabric on the one I made) and try again. Thanks!!