Monday, January 5, 2009

Happy New Year!

Jon's uncle owns a ranch (Horseshoe Ranch) in the middle of Agua Fria National Monument. It is about 2,400 acres, surrounded by nothing but beutiful Arizona scenery. We couldn't think of anything more perfect for a week with out of town guests. We knew Pete and Jess would love it, and after only 6 weeks, my friend Kim flew back out for more fun. She never got to see more than a 5 mile radius from my house. Jon's aunt and uncle were thrilled not to have to go up there for a week, we packed a truck, and were off.
Yep, that is me. And yep, I put the ATV there. Did I get mad and push it over with my super human strength? Not this time. I was actually riding it when I did it. Oops. Luckily, all I did was snap the front break off. Oh, and a lot of bruises on me. I strategically managed to wait until this particular 20 feet of road that contained a ditch between the road and the mountain, so I was cradled in my fall, and also managed to be under the quad, without it touching me. I was more concerned about the ache in my hand from smacking it on a rock then the goose egg quickly forming on the back of my head. If I had to go to the hospital, then I wanted to be ble to knit while I waited there. We had been out for 4 hours, and I guess I got a little confident, and was going a little too fast into a curve. After we realized that I was ok, Jessica and I were laughing so hard, I peed my pants- or maybe that happened when I rocketed through the air. Either way, it was funny, and no one was hurt. So we mosied back to the ranch, had a shower, a hot meal, and a lot of wine, and I was ready to rock and roll. It hurt to brush my hair and sit down for about a week, and I bruised in places I didn't know you could bruise. I was tempted to shave my head, just to see the bruise, it had to be impressive. We hiked, shot some guns, and drank and ate our weight. We had more friends come up for New Year's, and though we had origionally planned on 20 people, we had an intimate 10 to ring in the new year at midnight. All around, a great time. Here are a few more pictures.

This is the river you have to cross to get to the ranch, and also the view off of one of the bedroom patios.




No comments: