Saturday, August 15, 2009

What I did on my summer vacation

So its back to school. Three weeks in, and I feel like I have been hit by a truck. Where did the summer go? Did I do everything I wanted to do? No. But I have to be pleased with what I did do. I thought I would take a moment to reflect on the top 10 things I did this summer.
1. I finished chemo. It feels good to be free of everything for a little while.
2. I decided that it isn't tv that rots peoples' brains, it is Fox News.
3. I questioned whether or not to teach the Food Pyramid to my students because I think that while it can be a useful learning tool, it is a bunch of crap based on who lobbies Congress the hardest and not about what is actually good for us (but I am going to teach it anyway).
4. I took 18 college credits in 5 weeks that solidified my confidence, and excitement in teaching and the classroom.
5. I spent some good quality time with family that I love.
6. I did a lot of redecorating. Specifically, I made curtains for every room in the house, a duvet and throw pillows for the bedroom, painted 2 rooms, and created a studio for myself. Which takes me to #7.
7. I now have a creation studio in my own home. My living room has always been my office, of sorts. No real name for it. I cleaned up piles, after piles of stuff, and created a space conducive for creativity. I am openly inspired, and wish I had more time to spend in there.
8. I traveled to beautiful places, with beautiful people.
9. I decided that there is one thing my acupuncturist and I will always disagree on - cheese. I love it, she is against it. Too bad for her.
10. I fell in love with quilting. I forget when I knit how much I love sewing. I have been reinvented. Though I typically find quilts very country bumpkin, I love the construction. And with the right fabric, you can do amazing things.

No comments: