Sunday, August 21, 2011

Inspired to write again

I have so much going on and it kills me that my blog is always one of the first things to get cut out. But things are a changin' around here, and a friend has recently inspired me to write more often. So much occurred this summer, that I will only wrap up some of it here. I hope to reflect on more if it in the future because it really was an interesting summer.

My summer of projects clearly didn't really happen. I was gone so much that my few days home were just long enough to do laundry, re-pack, hit lunch with a friend or two, and jet off to the next place. Two weeks before I started back to work I took on re-finishing our kitchen cabinets which took far longer than expected but came out looking amazing. We are working on finding back splash that we love, and re-painting in the next month or two (I can't believe we didn't take before pictures). That may be the only project I will have time for in the next few months.

As usual, my consistent ability to over committ has once again taken over my schedule. Work is officially in full swing, and I am excited to see what comes of this school year. I am in the process of applying for a $10,000 grant for iPads for my classroom, my club starts right after Labor Day, and I am once again the after school detention teacher 2 days a week. Tomorrow I am not only a wife and teacher, but also a student. I am going to take 2 classes at the community college (Pattern Design II and Fashion Illustration) as I continue to pursue getting an Associates Degree in Fashion Design. Seems silly to some people to get an Associates after I have already received a Bachelor's, but I am really excited about it. I have about 7 classes left, and as long as they can offer all of them at night, I should have it in about a year and a half. I have also been training for 3 half marathons. Yes, 3. The Women's Half Marathon in September in Nashville, TN, the Women's Half Marathon in Tempe, AZ in November, and the P.F. Chang's Half Marathon in Phoenix, AZ in January. All because I wasn't already busy enough. But health should be in my top 3 priorities, workouts often get passed up because I am lazy. (Yeah, I think I am lazy. I know that when I talk about everything I have going on it doesn't sound that way, but I really am.)

I was supposed to begin training in June for my first half, and just began working out. That one is going to be a struggle. I battled back discomfort all summer, and found little time to work out with the travel schedule (I know, excuses, excuses). Last week started training for the November half, and I started off with a bang on Monday. That was about it. But today I went to the gym and completed my weekly "long" run of 4 miles. I ran 1.66 of it (not all at once) and I refuse to be upset about that. I did it, and getting the miles in is what matters. My goal is to be able to run at least half of the Nashville race in a month. It is a lofty goal, but what I am shooting for none the less. The truth is, I hate running. I would much rather walk fast, but whatever. I now have people here holding me accountable which is a training first for me. There is nothing wrong with pushing myself. And I should lose a few pounds in the process, which is always welcome. Besides my mileage goal, I would love to lose one dress size, and one bra size which should happen with about 7 pounds of fat loss and muscle toning.

I hope to keep blog posts about all sorts of things, but workouts will for sure be part of them. Here goes!

No comments: