Friday, September 5, 2008

Secret Lives


Rarely do I get embarrassed. I have always tried to live with the philosophy that embarrassment builds character. However, this afternoon, I think I may have finally done it.
It was a quick week at work, and my patience was short today. Almost all of my classes received a tounge lashing for driving me crazy. When I got home I decided that grading papers was not going to help my mood, and definitely probably wouldn't help some kid's grades. Time for a break. Time for a movie. My friend Marie saw Mama Mia and said she didn't really like it. I knew this meant I would love it, so off I went. I laughed, I cried, I absolutely loved it. It made me think of my mom, and Sarah, and all the other goofy friends I have had those moments with. I was sad when I let because I didn't get to watch it with mom or Sarah, but I had an ABBA song under my skin. It itched. I needed to rock out. So before leaving the parking lot, I plugged in the iPod and blasted the tunes. Started with Waterloo, then moved onto a little Fernando. Then branched out from ABBA to a little of whatever else. I sang and be bobbed the whole way home. Other drivers looked at me like I was crazy. I didn't care. Live a little, folks. Get crazy. When I got home I couldn't stop. So I popped in the headphones, strapped the iPod into my arm band and went off to change my clothes when Aretha Franklin's "Think" came on. Now, I have loved that song since I was a kid and my brother and I shared the Blues Brothers Soundtrack. Something suddenly came over me. At that moment I happened to be in my bathroom in a T-Shirt and underwear when I spied my hair brush. Girls, you know what's coming. You see, I have a secret life. I am a professional lip syncer. Did you know that? Nobody has ever seen it, but I am the best. Seriously. Milli Vanilli has nothing on me. And if anyone actually ever saw me do it, I might just die. But I am convinced that everybody does it. Don't lie. And I was standing there in the mirror, lip syncing my heart out, dance moves and all, right in the heart of the song, cranked up so that no other sound in the real world could interrupt the show, and then my husband appeared behind me. He looked mortified. I just about fell over giggling. He looked like he was watching a train wreck. You know the look. This is horrifying, but I can't stop looking, and by the way, where the hell is my wife? I couldn't stop laughing and felt the only thing I could do was make it worse, so I started singing out loud and serenading him. I think he was more embarrassed than I was. He quickly left, mumbling something about how he didn't want me to think I was ignoring him. Guess I was just fine. Oh well. I still can't stop laughing. Guess the secrets out. What is your secret?

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

You put Tom Cruise to shame!

Veronique said...

Hee, hee, your right we all do it, but maybe not as well as you ;) I loved Mamma Mia too!!